Key of A 2 Chords
1. The easiest chords to get started with are the A and E chords. In the diagrams above, the vertical lines present the strings, the horizontal lines represent the frets, and the dots represent the fingertips. Zeros over the strings indicate open strings, numbers are the left or fretting hand fingers, and an x indicates that a string is not played.
3. When changing from A to E and back, lift 2 & 3, slide 1, and replace 2 & 3. Try this warmup exercise in A, using 4 down-strums only per measure at 1 beat each: 4/4 / A / E / E / A //
4. Songs with A and E: Practice these until you can
change chords without stopping.
Skip To My Lou 4/4 / A / A / E / E / A / A / E / A //
Tom Dooley 4/4 / A / A / A /A / A / A / E / E / E / E / E / E / E / E /A / A //
Aiko Aiko- 4/4 / A / A / A / E / E / E / E / A //
Jambalaya 4/4 //: A / A / E / E / E / E / A / A //
Down in the Valley - ¾ / A / A / A / A / E / E / E / E / E / E / E / E / A / A / A / A //
5. Speed changing: Look at your left hand, dont stop
the strum, jump to the next chord.
Key of A, Part II- 3 Chords
A D E
2. If the D chord is difficult at first, try this exercise: First, place the second finger on the second fret of the first string. Then place the third finger on the third fret of the second string, making sure the finger is curled and inside of the finger is not touching the first string. Play the two strings together and adjust the positions of the fingers until both strings are sounding clearly. Finally, place the first finger on the second fret of the third string and play the full chord, adjusting as necessary for clarity.
3. Warm-up exercise- 4 downstrums on each chord: 4/4 / A / D / E / A / A / E / D / A //
4. How to change chords: A ® D, D ® A. Lift 2 and 3, hold 1, replace 2 and 3.
D ® E, E ® D, A ® E, E ® A. Lift 2 and 3, slide 1, replace 2 and 3.
Fingerings chart for the A, D, and E chords
6. Songs in A - 4 strums per measure in 4/4,
three strums per measure in ¾.
Amazing Grace - ¾ / A / A / D / A / A / A / E / E / A / A / D / A / A / E / A /A //
Sweet Home Chicago 4/4 / A / D / A / A / D / D / A /
A / E / D / A / A //
Copyright 2007 G. Weiser
Home | Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar Books | Harmonica Books | Music Lessons | CDs
Harmonica Main | Celtic Main | Blues Main | Fingerstyle Main | Woodstock 69 | Reviews
Free Celtic Guitar Arrangements | Free Celtic Harmonica Arrangements | Online Celtic Tunebook
Writings | MySpace Page | Discographies | To Order Books | Contact | Links | Translate